Saturday, March 3, 2007

My surreal Utah moment


So I was at my little sisters apartment watching the most recent Dane Cook, HBO Standup special on DVD. I'm drinking her roommates gin and laughing out loud from time to time. My body is requesting nicotine (as it usually does when I'm drinking). Its 4 degrees outside.

I think to myself "Is the cigarette really worth it?"

I step out into the cold Utah air to smoke my Marlboro Light. I can see my breath. My body shivers.

I think to myself again "Is this really worth it?"

A guy with a mullet walks out the door of the building across from my sisters and starts up his car. Its a shit brown Chevy Caprice. He fires it up and runs back inside the apartment building, leaving the car unattended.

"Round Here" by Counting Crows is coming from the Caprice. Its a full moon tonight. I can hear different conversations coming from various apartments in the two buildings. A couple is fighting.

I take a hit of my cigarette.
(Round here we always stand up straight)

"Fuck you Cunt," comes from the apartment above my sisters.

I take a hit of my cigarette. I'm shaking from the cold.

"You are such an asshole!" same apartment, but crying female voice.
(Maria came from Nashville with a suitcase in her hand.)

I take a hit of my cigarette

A beer can is thrown. A door slams. A guy wearing a wool coat and sporting the worlds biggest fucking belt buckle, hops in into his 4x4 and peels out.

(Round here we're carving out our names)

The girl upstairs is crying.
(Round here we all look the same)

My hands and feet are numb. I start coughing.
(Round here we talk just like lions)

I take the last hit of the cigarette and flick it into a snow bank.

(But we sacrifice like lambs)

I never would have pegged that guy as a Counting Crows fan. I need to quit smoking.

1 comment:

anthony said...

fucking counting crows